Have you ever griped “why can’t they . . . ?” Probably lots of times. Did you realize that you are the person most qualified to solve this problem? Being aggravated by an inconvenience can be a powerful impetus to entrepreneurship.
Running is my way to keep fit. It also gives me time to listen to podcasts and music. But I have not found a set of headphones or ear buds that will stay in my ears. Thinking about it one day while running I decided this might be a business opportunity. Research quickly showed several people had the same idea. No matter, on to the next one.
Next time you find yourself griping, ask the following questions:
- Are other people inconvenienced by this problem? Social media makes it fairly easy to assess this.
- Can I imagine a product or service that would solve this problem? Get creative, even outlandish.
- If the answer is yes, does such a product or service already exist? Do you have more than one solution and are they all being done?
- If the answer to 3 is yes, can it be done better or less expensively? It is not necessarily bad if someone is already pursuing it. This may prove there is a market!
- If the answer to 3 is no, what knowledge is needed? Do not be afraid to talk to people. You may run the risk of having your idea stolen but if you do not do solid research you will never get anywhere anyway. Besides, this will not be your last idea.
- Do I have the knowledge and if not who does? Perhaps you will handle the business and someone else will handle the product development or vice versa.
Once you have answered question 6 you can decide whether to pursue the project.
Beware: once you approach life’s gripes with such a productive attitude you may find you have a more positive outlook and a larger bank account.
Question – What is bugging you? Care to share your solution?
You can leave a comment on this question or ask another question below ↓