Countless people castigate me for my taste in music. Yet until I finish mining the enjoyment and meaning from Nostalgia Music (a term the folks at Kings Radio in the California Central Valley minted for popular music from the 1930s to the 1950s) I feel no compulsion to listen to anything else. Case in point:
Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy of Company B
So what can a bugler teach? Virtually every line of this song has a lesson for life and business:
- Start the day off with a blast, like a bugle call.
- “He was the top man at his craft, but his number came up and he was called to the draft.” – No matter what your place in life, the unexpected will happen. Always bring in the best to your life and business.
- “They made him blow a bugle for his Uncle Sam. It really brought him down because he could not jam” - Even when life or your business isn't working out the way you want it to, be upbeat.
- “The captain seemed to understand, ‘cause the next day the cap went out and drafted a band” - Great entrepreneurs, leaders, and parents look for opportunities to support their customers, people, and children by supplying what they need to be successful.
- “He can’t blow a note unless a bass and guitar is playing with him” – Life and business are team sports.
- “He makes the company jump when he plays reveille” - WQe all need to inspire others.
- “And when he played boogie woogie bugle he was busy as a bzzz bee” – Occupy yourself pursuing your passion.
- “He puts the boys to sleep with boogie every night and wakes them up the same way in the early bright” – The way you go to sleep determines the way you'll wake up the next morning.
Don Raye and Hughie Prince wprobably just wanted to write an upbeat, popular ditty to lift America’s spirits after the imposition of the draft during the lead up to World War II. But whether I'm running, cooking, or just listening. When Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy of Company B plays on my iPod or KCEA my life immediately perks up!
What song describes life as you think it should be lived?
You can leave a comment on this question or ask another question below ↓